Terms of Reference
||Urban-LEDS II Project Officer
||Vientiane, Lao PDR
||15 November 2019
||Contractual position with ICLEI Southeast Asia available beginning December 2019 until March 2021
For full details of the job opening visit: or our website at www.icleiseas.org
Lao PDR is among the Phase II countries of the Urban-LEDS II project. Accelerating climate action through the promotion of Urban Low Emission Development Strategies. At the city level, the project is supporting and guiding the review of climate action planning in Kaysone Phomvihane and Pakse city, the model cities under Urban-LEDS II. The project also intends to enrich the climate change adaptation and resilience component of the cities’ action plan by providing support in the conduct of science-based vulnerability and risk assessment. Ultimately, the goal is to help the selected model cities formulate and develop Urban Low Emission Development Strategies and Action Plans, with a climate resilience focus embedded and guiding integrated climate action. Toward this end, the project is looking for a Project Officer to deliver the following key tasks:
- Main responsibility: Implementation of the Urban-LEDS II activities, ensuring that project objectives are being met in Lao PDR, and leading the coordination work with cities, national ministries, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate with ICLEI Southeast Asia in the design and implementation of the project work plan in Lao PDR.
- Work directly with the project cities and both the provincial and national governments ensure that relevant Urban-LEDS II project activities are communicated to them.
- Coordinate with relevant national ministries, project partner from UN-Habitat, and other organizations relevant to the project.
- Organize capacity building workshops for national government and cities with inputs from ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat.
- Oversee and coordinate directly with external consultants hired by the project to ensure that milestones and key deliverables are being met in a timely manner.
- Provide technical assistance in identifying and planning appropriate pilot/demonstration projects on low emission development as well as monitor its implementation.
- Prepare verbal and written technical reports as required by ICLEI Southeast Asia and World Secretariat including but not limited to minutes of meetings, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Participate in dialogues with national government and other key stakeholders.
- Conduct desktop research to support the implementation of Urban-LEDS II project
- Provide recommendations/suggestions to support LEDS in Lao PDR
- Perform other tasks relevant to the project
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Urban Planning, Energy, or other related fields. Advanced degree (MA or MSc) is an advantage.
- Lao PDR nationality
- Five or more years’ experience in project management (international level), stakeholder engagement, and strategic planning
- Expertise in local development planning with a particular focus on policy development, climate action planning, greenhouse gas inventory, and low emission development.
- Previous experience in development work or related work for donor organizations, government institutions, NGOs, private sector/consulting firm in Lao PDR is a strong advantage.
- Experience in project management, capacity building programs; stakeholder engagement; strategic planning, and event coordination is an advantage.
- Knowledge in local development planning with a focus on policy development, climate action planning, energy and transport and other related topics in the context of Lao PDR.
- Excellent command of the English language, both oral and written, is a must.
- Good knowledge of local, provincial, and national government systems in Lao PDR is an advantage.
Interested candidates are requested to apply before 15 November 2019, Friday by sending the following documents through email with subject “Urban-LEDS II_Project Officer_Laos to Mr. Phouvannasinh Phongsa at email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter that demonstrates your experience, qualifications and why you feel you would be the right choice for this position. Please address the cover letter to:
ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability
Southeast Asia Secretariat