||Climate Risk and Vulnerability Assessment Expert (CRVA)
||Individual consultant (Lao national) or firm (can be local or international with relevant background work in Lao PDR)
||Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR with fieldworks in Kaysone Phomvihane and Pakse City
||23 September 2019
||October 2019 to March 2020
||60 man-days, output-based consultancy with a lump sum contract
For full details of the job opening visit: or our website at www.icleiseas.org
Lao PDR is among the Phase II countries of the Urban-LEDS II project. Accelerating climate action through the promotion of Urban Low Emission Development Strategies. At the city level, the project is supporting and guiding the review of climate action planning in Kaysone Phomvihane and Pakse city, the model cities under Urban-LEDS II. The project also intends to enrich the climate change adaptation and resilience component of the cities’ action plan by providing support in the conduct of science-based vulnerability and risk assessment. Ultimately, the goal is to help the selected model cities formulate and develop Urban Low Emission Development Strategies and Action Plans, with a climate resilience focus embedded and guiding integrated climate action. Toward this end, the project is looking for a Climate Vulnerability and Risk Assessment Expert to deliver the following key tasks:
- Conduct preliminary research and data gathering:
Produce hazard-specific maps overlaying experienced and future hazards overexposed elements to determine vulnerable areas, preferably on a village scale.
Validate hazard maps through multi-stakeholder workshops participated by local government and community members including the vulnerable groups.
Gather insights and local knowledge to assess the adaptive capacities of resources, urban systems, and the population.
Produce climate vulnerability and risk assessment in line with the national guidelines.
Recommend climate adaptation strategies based on the results of the climate vulnerability and risk assessment as well as multi-stakeholder workshops and consultations.
Produce a final report documenting the outputs of the consultancy work in two languages (Lao and English).
- Review development plans, climate change action plans, city resilience strategy, and related documents to assess existing information and determine gaps.
- Scope for existing national and local policies/initiatives relevant to climate action in coordination with relevant local and national government staff, CSOs, international organizations, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Gather and analyze geospatial data including but not limited to temperature, precipitation, historical/current/future hazards, land use, land cover, etc.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in implementing climate change-related projects particularly on climate vulnerability and risk assessment, preferably in a local organization or NGO or local-based scientific/research organization. Local NGOs and scientific research organizations can apply.
- Completed university degree or equivalent in Geography, Environmental Science, Urban Planning, Climate Change or related fields. Having a Master’s Degree is an advantage. Equivalent professional experience can also be considered.
- Good knowledge and understanding of local, provincial, and national government systems in Laos.
- Good knowledge of local/national policies relevant to climate action/climate risk and vulnerability assessment in Lao PDR.
- Proficiency in using GIS software (e.g. QGIS, ArcGIS, etc.) and GPS devices is a must.
- Experience in conducting workshops with a wide variety of different stakeholders is a plus.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent writing, presentation, communication, and facilitation skills.
- Able and willing to travel domestically.
Interested candidates are requested to apply by sending the following documents through e-mail with the subject “VA ULEDS2 – [name/organization]” no later than 18.00 Laos time (GMT+7) on Monday/ 23 September 2019, to firstname.lastname@example.org with copy to email@example.com: Expression of interest and confirmation of availability for the consultancy’s duration; Latest CV; and Professional fees requested.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. For more information about ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat, visit http://icleiseas.org/.