Title: Country Director (CD)
Location: Vientiane Capital
Commitment: Full-time staff contract
Deadline: 26 June 2019
PSI is a nonprofit organization based in Washington, D.C. that harnesses the vitality of the private sector to address the health problems of low-income and vulnerable populations in more than 60 developing countries. With programs in malaria, reproductive health, child survival, HIV, TB and sanitation, PSI promotes products, services and healthy behavior that enable low-income and vulnerable people to lead healthier lives.
PSI/Laos has a solid donor base and is well positioned for future growth and sustainability. The organization’s diverse portfolio includes health programs such as Family Planning and Reproductive Health, Malaria, HIV/AIDS, TB programs and NCD. In addition, PSI/Laos has strong potential to grow into new programs to address other health areas in the future.
The Country Director is responsible, under the guidance of Regional PSI Leadership, for the overall leadership and management of PSI/Laos. S/he is expected to work closely with the Senior Management Team to ensure that PSI/Laos achieves measurable health impact. S/he is expected to work closely with the Senior Management Team and all PSI/Laos staff to ensure that the organization is committed to achieving health impact while fostering an organizational culture that emphasizes quality, efficiency, speed and scale through staff development and ownership. S/he is also responsible for ensuring effective representation of PSI/Laos to national and local Government authorities and development partners, donor agencies, PSI International and the larger Laos society.
In addition to a highly capable team of 4 Lao SMT members, the Country Director will receive support from the Regional PSI Leadership, Asia and other expatriate advisors in technical and operational areas to manage program quality and ensure financial and operational integrity in compliance with the organization’s policies and strategies.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Strategic Management
- Lead the development of a globally shared and aligned operational plan and regularly review operational plans and annual goals to deepen and broaden health impact, organizational development and systems strengthening
- Ensure regular review of the operational plan to keep it relevant and up to date in line with the changing context and review implementation of the strategic plan
- Lead the development and achievement of annual organization goals in line with the global PSI strategy and donor deliverables while ensuring compliance with the organization’s minimum standards
- Explore and develop strategies for potential new program areas and opportunities for innovation using available research evidence and in line with national burden of
- Lead new business and fundraising efforts, including shared decision making on new investments, proposal development, partnership formation and budgeting
- Ensure all PSI/Laos staff is aligned around PSI’s deliverables, strategies, mission, and vision
- Represent PSI/Laos and maintain excellent relationships with all key stakeholders, including national government agencies; key international and national development partners, private sector partners and NGOs.
- Lead all aspects of donor management, including representing PSI/Laos in key meetings, overseeing implementation of donor contracts and ensuring achievement of all donor deliverables.
- Maintain excellent working relationships and cooperation with PSI International, the PSI global network, and all PSI representatives.
- Maintain active participation of PSI/Laos senior management on relevant MoH and government technical committees.
- Ensure strong external relations and national engagement through active participation in technical working groups, committees, and any other relevant bodies as appropriate.
- Represent PSI/Laos in all legal, administrative and other public proceedings.
Human Resources Management
- Maintain appropriate management and organization structure to adequately assign and align human resources with organization objectives
- Oversee development and regular review of Employee Manual to ensure implementation of organization policies and procedures for compliance with local labor law and donor requirements.
- Oversee and ensure staff recruitment and induction is in line with PSI/Laos recruitment policy and ensure deep bench of committed team members to achieve organization’s mission and vision.
- Provide adequate pay and benefits to retain qualified staff within the limits of donor budgets and following a platform salary matrix that is competitive with sector standards.
- Ensure that all staff members are appraised regularly according to the agreed performance appraisal system.
- Develop career plan and capacity building and provide mentoring to SMT,
- Effectively manage SMT to deliver departmental goals and address underperformance
- Building a positive team environment that encourages transparency and open-communication, investing in staff development and through performance management.
Financial Management and Internal Controls
- Ensure that all PSI/Laos activities are in compliance with the laws of Lao PDR, donor requirements and with PSI/Laos’s Statutes.
- Develop and manage both annual and project budgets in accordance with project requirements and internal financial management policies and regulations.
- Ensure regular review of expenditures against project budgets at the organization and departmental level.
- Lead the development and implementation of strong internal control systems to ensure financial and program integrity for protection and use of organization and donor resources.
- Ensure that all PSI/Laos financial policies and procedures are followed and regularly updated based on internal and external audits and assessments.
- Ensure that PSI/Laos achieves minimum standards for implementing financial systems and submitting monthly financial reports to donors as required.
- Ensure that PSI/Laos submits annual reports to government authorities as required.
- Lead the process of suspected fraud investigation.
Operational and Technical Management
- Ensure development and implementation of evidence-based programming to maximize health impact and address disease burden in Laos.
- Oversee and approve assessments and reviews conducted in support of programs and evaluate the effectiveness and sustainability of program activities.
- Coordinate with appropriate PSI Global Services and relevant technical departments to ensure that program activities follow best practices.
- Ensure that PSI/Laos projects are contractually compliant, including meeting all reporting requirements and deliverables in line with donor standards.
- Continuously assess progress of teams and individuals, and ensure technical inputs are based on the needs required to meet organizational and departmental objectives.
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MBA, MIA, MPH, etc.) or equivalent experience
- At least ten years work experience in a developing country
- At least ten years work experience in a senior management position with both personnel and financial management responsibilities and proven ability to produce results
- A dynamic, innovative and strategic thinker who can achieve results in a large and complex organization
- Knowledge of national health systems, international development and public health issues
- Familiarity and experience in dealing with the international donor community
- Organizational management
- Proposal writing and fundraising
- Finance and budgeting
- Experience managing health program, donor issues
- Change management
- Good governance and transparency
- Experience working in situations of political sensitivity
- Strong marketing and research-based decision-making skills
- Health issues
Supervisory / Leadership Skills:
- Excellence in leadership
- Proven leadership demeanor: calm under pressure, diplomatic, and decisive.
- Interpersonal communication
- Coaching and mentoring
- Conflict and problem solving
- Team building
- Ability to understand big picture in health, financial, and operational aspect
- Demonstrate ability to focus and achieve results
- Ability to inspire people to deliver results
- Planning and prioritization skill
- Demonstrated ability to attract talented staff
- Fluent in Lao Language: written, spoken, and typing
- High competency in English language; written and spoken
- Computer skills Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email
PERSONALITY / ATTITUDE
- Attention to detail
- Solution- and results-oriented
- Team player
- Understands value of feedback and actively seeks to improve performance of team and self
PSI/Laos CORE VALUES
It is part of every staff member job description to embody PSI/Laos’s Core Values:
- Cooperation and Transparency
- Professionalism and Integrity
- Respecting and Investing in our people
- Speed and Quality
RELATIONSHIP / LIAISON
The Country Director will have lead responsibility for strategic planning and management of the program and organization; fundraising and budgeting; external representation and relationships; internal management of finance, staff and other resources; and all reporting requirements.
The Country Director will have demonstrated ability to maintain excellent partnerships with donors, the Government and other key stakeholders. S/he is expected to foster an organizational culture that emphasizes quality, efficiency, speed and scale through staff development and ownership.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest with expected salary, curriculum vitae with two references, and copied education certificates and ID card to Human Resource team via
email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or deliver a hard copy to PSI/Laos (Donkoi Village, Unit 16, Sisattanak District,
Vientiane Capital) by deadline 26 June 2019. For more information please contact telephone number 85621-330429–32. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interview
www.psilaos.org | Facebook | YouTube