Executive Director European Chamber
- Location:Vientiane , Laos
- Career Level:Senior Management
- Employment Type:Full Time
- Salary Range: tbd
- Start Date:Ideally 1st July, 2019
- Application Deadline:24st June 2019
About EuroCham Laos
The European Chamber of Commerce in Laos (“EuroCham Laos” or “ECCIL”) was founded in 2011 and has since grown to over 100 members, making it the largest Western business association in Laos today. EuroCham offers a range of business services to companies who are interested in exploring investment opportunities in Laos, providing market research, technical information and practical advice on how to get started in this exciting Southeast Asian market. EuroCham Laos represents its members’ interests and concerns vis-à-vis the Government of Laos and seeks to work alongside the authorities to create a more attractive investment environment for European companies, and in particular for SMEs.
In addition, EuroCham Laos implements a European Union six year program to provide Support for European Business in South East Asian Markets (“SEBSEAM”). The SEBSEAM program aims to increase and diversify exports and investments of EU business to Laos and ensure EuroCham’s financial sustainability in the long term.
EuroCham Laos is focusing on the three following pillars, which are to be further strengthened in the coming years: advocacy, services and membership. The main goal will be to enhance the sustainability of these pillars in the after-grant period.
Description of the Position
The Executive Director is in charge of managing all chamber operations, and for carrying out the policies and duties adopted/approved by the board through an annual program of actions: one important focus being until 2019-20, the coordination of the implementation of the ICI+ SEBSEAM Project, and the relationship with the donor.
The ED manages a team to ensure daily operations and strategy implementation. The executive director will report to the EuroCham chairman, its executive committee and the Board of Directors. With a team of over 13, a highly professional management team is in place to support the executive director.
Chambers operations include:
- Lead the operational implementation of the annual program approved by the Board;
- Regularly report to the Board/ExCom/Chairman on activities implantation and financial matters;
- Ensure relationships and reporting with the European Union Delegation for the smooth implantation of the ICI+ program;
- Contribute to the elaboration of a strategic development plan with the view of preparing EuroCham post ICI+ transition;
- Achieve operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; Organize the Annual General Meeting of the chamber and conduct board elections;
- Maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders and partners at national, regional, and international levels;
- Maintain the legal integrity of the chamber;
- Ensure the supervision and implementation of all administrative, HR, IT and financial matters relating to the chamber; and
- Financial controlling and reporting :
- Propose, implement and control the overall annual budget and long-range forecast of needs of the chamber
- Work closely with the treasurer, accounting manager, service providers and the appointed auditor in monitoring finances of the chamber
MANAGEMENT OF THE ICI+ GRANT
The ED should supervise and ensure the implementation of the activities required and the reporting to the donor. This includes more specifically:
- Ensure compliance with the requirements linked to an EU-funded program: rules, expenditures, audit, visibility, communication, etc;
- Ensure the smooth implementation of the ICI+ budget until the end of the program; and
- Prepare the annual ICI+ report budget and request the annual installment.
SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES INCLUDE but are not limited to:
- Ensure smooth coordination of and relationship between EuroCham , LNCCI and the other Chambers;
- Develop and supervise effective membership programs and services;
- Ensure the continuity and the implementation of the advocacy programs, including:
- Coordination of the sectoral committees
- Publication of the EuroCham White Book, and follow up on policy responses
- Inform the EU Delegation (“DG Trade”) and the Embassies of EU Member States on the contents of the Advocacy program, and coordinate the advocacy actions when possible;
- Continue to ensure smooth relationships with the Lao Government, the Lao Private Sector and development partners;
- Ensure the timely delivery of the chambers quality services to clients;
- Develop a business model for services with the view of ensuring the future financial sustainability of the chamber;
- Create and manage innovative services to third parties in order to increase revenues;
- Promote Laos at overseas locations as a trade and investment destination through outreach activities, and especially with European companies;
European and ASEAN network development
- Participate in inter-ASEAN and international meetings;
- Actively promote cooperation and collaboration with other European chambers, including organizing joint events;
Communication and Marketing
- Maintain effective internal and external public relations and serve as spokesperson for the chamber with all stakeholders, in conjunction with the chairman and executive committee; and
- Develop and maintain an effective communication strategy that is responsive to the needs of all stakeholders (e.g. members, European Union, etc).
- European National
- University Degree, preferably in business administration/political sciences/ international relations or similar professional qualification
- Senior position : at least 10 years of work experience with 5 years in trade and investment or policy work
- Proven ability to manage relationships with high level institutional stakeholders, including Ministries, Embassies, and Development Partners.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills
- Excellent institutional communication skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and preferably another European language
- Excellent knowledge of Laos institutional, legal, business and cultural environment is preferred
- Knowledge of Lao would be an asset, but not a requirement
How to apply
To apply, send a letter of motivation and an updated CV by June 24th 2019 to:
With cc to: