Programme Officer - Governance, Based in Vientiane, Lao PDR
Oxfam is an international confederation of 20 organizations networking together in 90 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working together to build a future free from the injustice of poverty. We work with thousands of partners in countries around the world and employ staff in a wide variety of posts. We work directly with communities and we seek to influence the powerful in order to enable the most marginalized to improve their lives and livelihoods and have a say in decisions that affect them.
Working at Oxfam is so much more than just a job. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of dedicated and passionate professionals working to help people overcome poverty, build resilient communities and fight for social justice. Oxfam has had a presence in Laos since the late 1980s and works to deliver a country strategy that focuses on sustainable livelihoods, governance and civil society, gender and diversity and resilient communities.
Purpose of function
The Programme Officer (PO) Governance will ensure the implementation of programs that are contributing the Oxfam Country Strategy (OCS). The PO will support from design to evaluation the full program cycle management in line with Oxfam’s country policy and the one programme approach in close co-operation with local partners and other Oxfams ensuring gender equality in program development and implementation.
- The Programme Officer is managed by and reports to the Programme Manager
- The Programme Officer will work in close collaboration with local partner organizations, Programme Officers, Humanitarian Coordinator, Finance Officers, the Business Support team and others as see relevant.
- Manages all aspects of the respective Programme implementation through periodic work plans and progress reports (annual, quarterly and monthly), monitoring and evaluation systems, and budget management, ensuring donors’ rules and Oxfam in Laos procedures are respected.
- Is responsible for the implementation of capacity building strategies of partners.
- Contributes to the Oxfam Country strategy and programme development in Laos under guidance of the respective Programme Manager, in particular w/r to Program strategies.
- Participates in meetings at national or regional level in relation with the thematic area.
- Takes up responsibility in case of humanitarian response programmes as required by the Country Director and the Humanitarian Coordinator
1. Programme implementation
- Dialogues with partners w/r to the quality of their programmes, their quarterly or yearly work plans so as to improve their Results Based Management. He/she facilitates the drafting of proposals if needed.
- Facilitates the approval process of partners’ programmes and work plans, prepares, funding Agreements with the partners and facilitates signing them.
- Monitors the programme implementation by the partner against their detailed approved work plans, and guarantees partners’ compliance with Oxfam and back-donor guidelines and other requirements.
- Facilitates the preparation and implementation of external programme / project evaluations.
- Provides feedback to partners based on observation of activities carried out by partners, field visits and dialogue with beneficiaries
- Verifies expenditures against work plans in line with Results Based Management principles, monitors the programme budget and disbursements to partners, all in cooperation with the Administrative and Finance Officer
- Uses the Oxfam’s tools and methodology with regard to Program Cycle Management,
- Drafts narrative reports in English according to the donor’s reporting template and/or Lao language and, together with the Programme Finance Officer, checks their consistency with the financial reports for donors, in compliance with contractual time-frames, regulations and guidelines.
- Translates relevant documents in English and/or Lao language for using by Oxfam partners as necessary.
- Initiate and facilitate activities concerning knowledge & information management with local partners and Oxfams to strengthen the effectiveness and implementation of programmes and lessons learned.
2. Partner support
- Maintains a trust relationship with the partners and communicates effectively with them. Provides advice, support or assistance as required, while keeping into account the vision and mission of Oxfam, its values and principles.
- Supports the partners in the application of the Results Based Management methodology, with a specific focus on their organisational development (internal management and governance, upward and downward accountability, gender mainstreaming and solidarity, an organisational culture of monitoring, reflection, learning and evaluation)
- Supports the partner with the development of their own Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning systems (MEL).
- Identifies any training and capacity building needs and coordinates/plans specific capacity building initiatives for local partners and beneficiaries.
- Supports partners in their advocacy or campaign activities and facilitates liaising to allies and stakeholders, nationally, regionally or internationally, as required.
- Identify, develop and management of the portfolio of local partners and projects.
- Facilitate the networking between partners and relevant external actors like knowledge & research institutes, and initiate and facilitate reports and any publications in this area.
- Actively engages in discussions with partners and other stakeholders on fostering external funding opportunities and where needed develop programs with partners and others.
- Initiates and facilitates activities concerning knowledge & information management with local partners and Oxfams to strengthen the effectiveness and implementation of programmes and lessons learned.
3. Programme development
- Participates in the identification and formulation of new programmes as coordinated by the Country Director and Humanitarian Coordinator, and contributes his/her experience and analysis based on previous programmes and strategic discussions with partners and other stakeholders.
- Contributes to strategic reflection of the Oxfam programme in Laos more generally.
- Explores potential new partnerships in the country in close collaboration with the Programme Manager and plays an active role in the development of project/programme budgets.
- Reports to the Programme Manager on the progress made in the annual plan, both related to grant management and program development, and also coordinate the communication around this with Oxfam Affiliates.
- Contributes to Knowledge Exchange and Training for Oxfam staff when required.
4. Humanitarian preparedness and response: (As part of the Oxfam PO)
- Participates in quick assessment of humanitarian needs in case of disasters and participates in writing assessment reports if necessary
- Contributes to the reflection of humanitarian response strategies, concept notes and proposal if necessary
- Participates in the delivery of humanitarian response programmes if necessary
Competencies and Skills
- Bachelor degree in the thematic field or at least 2 years of experiences in programme implementation with INGO or equivalent in experience
- Knowledge of thematic area
- Knowledge of methodologies and principles with regard to capacity-building and organisational and institutional development, including participatory approaches.
- Knowledge and experience with methodologies and practices on gender/youth approaches and mainstreaming.
- Good communication and facilitating skills, demonstrating trust, competence, respect and motivation, especially with government agencies and local authorities.
- Ability to cooperate in a team and to work under guidance, while showing a high degree of initiative, efficient time management and ability to cope with stressful situations.
- Good insights in financial management requirements
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Good knowledge of English and Laos
- Knowledge of Lao context
More information and application procedure:
To apply for this position, please prepare application including a motivation letter and curriculum vitae and send to email@example.com or contact us at Oxfam 98/8, Sithong Road, Ban Nongduang-tai Sikhottabong District PO Box: 4723 Tel 021 264 224 . Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR
Closing date for applications is on 24 June 2019.
Oxfam is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organization. Women and people from diverse groups are welcome to apply for these positions. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.