We are currently looking for Project Manager based in Savannakhet
Save the Children is starting five-year early grade reading project as part of LEAPS, a school feeding programme implemented in 6 districts of Savanakhet province managed by a third-party organization, CRS.
The goal of this project is to enhance how early grades students learn how to read by training teachers and promoting literacy in their communities.
The Project Manager is the field level representative of the organization and has overall accountability for planning and executing projects work plans in accordance with budgets, time lines and internal procedures. The role will be expected to lead on all aspects of managing the field base including supporting budget development and Management, overseeing partner and implementation across the province, agency coordination and representation, security, logistics and management of multiple teams.
The post holder will play a key role in building capacity at field level, and in the effective scale up and management of Save the Children emergency programmes to increase impact and enable positive change for children.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
KEY AREA OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Ensure they and their team fully understand the provisions of the Child Safeguarding Policy, the Code of Conduct and Local/Country Procedures.
Conduct themselves and ensure their team conduct themselves in accordance with the rules of the Child Safeguarding Policy, in their personal and professional lives – which includes reporting suspicions of child abuse.
That child safeguarding is integrated and given a “voice” in all management processes including recruitment, induction, performance management, team meetings, annual planning processes, field level monitoring, etc.
- Develops detailed project implementation plan of in close coordination with CRS
- Maps out roles and responsibilities in relation to implementation for all project’s stakeholders in the province;
- Develop local level agreement with partners (PESS and 6 DEBS) laying out roles and responsibilities, financial arrangements.
- Refine work plan and implementation details with partners in partner kick-off meeting
- Coordinate relevant functional training w/ partner : finance management, antifraud, child safeguarding;
- Hire teams as per staffing plan
- Plans and chairs single-site internal kick-off meeting;
Program Development and Planning
- Provide local level input in proposal development/ amendment
- Review feasibility and local relevance of proposals/ amendments
Program planning, Implementation, monitoring and reporting
- Regularly reviews detailed implementation plan of the program/project for the province in close coordination with CRS and partners
- Provides overall supervision and management support to field-level implementation ensuring all activities are completed on time and within budget; monitor partners activities.
- Provides monthly implementation plan to Programme Manager-Educaton.
- Oversees preparation of quarterly and annual progress reports, project reports, and donor reports related to the province;
- Coordinates the implementation of evaluation at site level with staffs under his/her supervision.
- Makes requests amendment when outputs/timeframe need adjustments and revised budget to Programme Manager-Educaton.
- Supervises procurement, reception, office supply, vehicle and facility management functions to support effectively programme delivery the technical team to enable them to carry out their work in the field; ensure adherence of staff to relevant SCI policies and guidelines.
- Ensures that all activities and operations fully comply with the child safeguarding local procedure and CSG global policies; signs off on CSG risk management plans for each activity involving children, monitors implementation.
- Manage project filing system and ensure procedure is completed correctly and in a timely fashion to ensure that documents are available for the technical team to collate data for quarterly reporting to donors; Ensures to maintains up-to-date copy of relevant Fund Summary/Agreements/proposals a site office level;
- Ensures with the SSD that systems are in place for the control of all assets, funds, equipment, property, and facilities and that these are aligned with donors’ rules and regulations. Perform half-yearly physical control of all registers and inventories. Proposes assets disposal plan as needed; Disposes of assets (donation to partners)
- In close coordination with the country Security Focal Point monitor and report on security situation in the field location. Implement effective safety and security procedures, ensuring that these are updated ad revised at regular intervals and that new project is built around security considerations.
Budget Planning and expenditure monitoring
- Prepares annual budget for programme implementation at site level, according to the budget template
- Provides explanations for variance and mitigation plans, proposes output adjustments;
- Ensures budget monitoring (check BvA), compiles comments, refines analysis and when variances, propose mitigation/adjustment actions;
- Approves revised/budget phasing or reforecast, every quarter;
- Provides information on support function costs for site office to line Manager and Finance during proposal development;
Financial management & Accounting
- Supervises the day-to-day financial operations of SVK field office including financial accounting, financial control, financial systems and monthly reporting to the Country Office and supports preparation of monthly projections and monthly reports to the donor and to Member.
- Ensures SCK operations complies with all donor and Save the Children Financial Management Operating Standards and Standard Operating Procedures, including the requirements of the SCI Finance Procedures Manual.
- Supervises the bank & cash management of SVK field office; reviews and submits the cash requests to the finance team; ensure adequate funds for smooth operation of programs.
- Approves budget advance, requests for both partners and staff within SOD or certifies and escalates to Programme Manager-Educaton;
- Reviews partners’ financial reports along with the supporting documents.
- Ensures Field-offices operate efficient accounting systems, including review of GLACOS before submissions to the Country office
- Coordinates and assists SSD during any internal or external audits ; Responds to auditors' requests for issues or program related site level; and provide inputs to Programme Manager-Educaton for management response;
Human Resources Management
- supports hr by leading on staffing structure and implementing staff welfare policy.
- develops and uProgramme Manager-Educatonates job descriptions which clearly define the roles and responsibilities of the staff under his/her supervision;
- in cooperation with the Programme Manager-Educaton and HR vte, leads in the recruitment of staff for all positions;
- ensures that staffs clearly understand their roles and responsibilities. on the basis of their job descriptions, monitor staff performance and provide constructive feedback to staff in line with sci policy.
- works with staffs to agree clear annual priority work plans and individual development plans linked to strategic priorities,
- ensures that staff are trained to sci policies, procedures and guidelines such as: child safeguarding, anti-fraud, procurement;
- conducts twice yearly participatory appraisals to assess performance and development of staffs under his/her supervision;
- incorporates staff development strategies and performance management systems into team building process.
- discusses needs for professional development opportunities for program staff with the direct line manager
- Education to Bachelor level in a relevant subject
Experience and Skills
- 5-7 years experience in a similar role
- Good written and spoken English skills in an advantage
- Good skills on teacher and staff capacity building
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills
- Excellent in team work and networking
- Good in documentation and report writing skills
- Good English communication skills
- Ethnic language skills is an advantage
- Good IT skills in major applications like MS Office, Internet, etc.
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
- Previous experience of managing a team
- Solid experience in grant management, including budget holding and donor reporting
- Previous experience of project management and working with Government partners
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- A very good understanding of Program management cycle
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- An in depth understanding of national and international development issues in particular in relation to children
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Proven experience in Emergency response and Proven excellent Government relations
Contract length: fixed term
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Interested candidates please submit a full application using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document including contact details of three professional referees. Please also include details of your salary expectations; a copy of your ID card and preferably Criminal Records (ໃບ້ແຈ້ງໂທດ) to Save the Children, HR Team, Rue Nerhu, Unit 25, Ban Phonexay (PO Box 7475) or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the title of position in your email subject line and also mention the location you apply to
Closing date for applications is: 27th May 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Save the Children International is a child rights based organization. Safe recruitment is central to the safeguarding of children and young people that we come into contact with, and support through our programmes.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Save the children is an equal opportunities employer, qualified females, persons with disability and candidates from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.