(Renewable Energy Advisor (REA), national position)
SNV Laos seeks a Renewable Energy Advisor (1 position). Duty station: Vientiane Capital
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is an international not-for-profit development organization founded in the Netherlands in 1965. SNV has built a long-term local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. SNV’s mission is to make a lasting difference in the lives of millions of people living in poverty. By sharing specialist expertise in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene SNV contributes to solving some of the leading problems facing the world today – helping to find local solutions to global challenges and sowing the seeds of lasting change. SNV started supporting development initiatives in Lao PDR in 1993.
SNV Laos is seeking to recruit a Renewable Energy Advisor (REA) to support the implementation of various RE projects in general, and an Advanced Biomass Cookstove (ABC)/Improved Cooking Stoves (ICS) project in particular. This position will play an important role in the project cycle management of the ABC project which aims at providing clean cooking energy solutions. To that extent, the REA will work intensively with the SNV Laos team members, project implementing partners and other stakeholders. This position is based in Vientiane and reports to the Energy Sector Leader.
2. Responsibilities and main activities:
- Supports the Project Manager to implement EnDev funded ABC/ICS project by (i) formulating a calendar of events, (ii) ensuring timely implementation of the planned activities, and (iii) preparing monthly progress reports.
2.2 Training and Capacity Building
- Carry out training needs assessments of ABC/ICS producers, distributors, retailers; plan and implement training and capacity building activities; identify appropriate partners for organising and conducting technical trainings.
- Prepare/fine-tune training manuals and other training materials including drawings, fabrication procedure and operation manuals.
- Organise and conduct technical trainings at various levels for different clients. Monitor training activities conducted by partners/consultants to ABC/ICS producers, distributors, retailers and users. Make sure that the training programs are conducted as per agreed methodology and to the best of professional practices.
- Carry out field visits to supervise and monitor capacity building activities. Conduct routine on-the-job and follow-up (refresher) trainings on as and when needed basis.
- Formulate, update and maintain database on number of personnel trained.
2.3 Quality Assurance
- Enforce quality standards for the production and after-sale-services related to ABC/ICS. Internalise quality control framework and mechanisms including methods of sampling, field investigation, data and information management as well as follow-up mechanisms.
- Work with producers to clearly explain them the production procedures, methods, selection of good quality materials and to properly read the technical drawings of ABC/ICS.
- Visit randomly sampled ABC/ICS households for sales verification and operational status of ABC/ICS.
- Check and validate data and information received from implementing partners. Compile information and act upon the findings wherever is needed.
- Report overall progress and problems (complaints regarding ‘technical matters’ and other issues) at the filed level.
- Update and maintain database on ABC/ICS installation; and publish periodic reports on status of ABC/ICS dissemination.
2.4 Research and Development
- In consultation with REMI, conduct routine testing of sampled ABC/ICS to assess efficiency, emissions, and other technical parameters as per ISO standard testing protocol. Share test results with stove producers and advise them on follow-up actions.
- Support the establishment of an ICS production workshop in Luang Prabang and provide needed technical support to produce quality ICSs.
- Identify potential R&D initiatives and ensure that such initiatives lead to wider application of the results at the field level to maximise benefits from ABC/ICS installations and/or sharing/transfer of knowledge and information with wider audiences to further promote/facilitate technology dissemination.
2.5 Learning and Teamwork
- Support and coach the project team and stakeholders at various levels on the implementation of the project;
- Create and facilitate continuous learning conditions for clients, stakeholders and project team members;
- Promote learning and sharing of best practices related to ABC/ICS project;
- Facilitate and stimulate capacity building for product development.
2.6 Positioning and networking
- Facilitate and coordinate a sector-wide multi-stakeholders analysis and processes related to ABC/ICS practice area in Laos
- Actively explore market and product development within the practice area;
- Actively identify and facilitate the cooperation with (new) local capacity builders, partners and clients in the practice area;
- Ensure effective liaison with stakeholders;
2.7 Knowledge management/development
- Ensure proper documentation of activities, approaches and achievements;
- Ensure that best practices are published and disseminated;
- Create and/or facilitates knowledge networks/partnerships
- Stimulate and facilitate presentations on national fora.
- Represent the ABC/ICS Project in various forums and demonstrate impeccable moral conduct as the project’s representative in these forums.
- Prepare monthly, half yearly and yearly progress reports.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other SNV supported projects to integrate ABC/ICS wherever is possible.
- Perform other duties as required and as instructed by the senior staff members.
3. Qualification, Work Experience and Professional Skills
- University degree on Civil/Environmental/Electrical Engineering or Environmental/Natural Resources Management or Renewable Energy Technologies.
- At least five years experiences in promotion and extension of New and Renewable Energy Technologies in general and ICS/ABC in particular
- Good understanding and proven expertise of planning and implementing capacity building initiatives
- Proven experience in organizing and conducting technical and other training programmes at the grass-roots level.
- Knowledge on production, dissemination and quality control of ABC/ICSs
- Formal training or hands on experience on Database Management
- Planning and reporting skills
- Innovative and analytical skills
- Excellent knowledge of the English language
- A good team player
- Able to work with minimum supervision
- Able to work closely with communities, private enterprises and government officials in a multi-stakeholder platform
- Willing to travel on a regular basis and enjoy working frequently in rural areas
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ready to work in odd hours and under the pressure of deadlines
5. Key Relationships
- Internally: Project Manager/Energy Sector Leader, Finance and Admin Teams
- Externally: Government counterparts, Implementing Partner, ARMI, REMI, LWU.
6. Terms of Employment
Duration of Contract: 2 years with possibility of extension
Salary and benefits: As per SNV’s Terms of Employment for National Staff
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants meeting the above requirements should submit their application letter and curriculum by email before 27th May 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.