Programme Coordinator , Oxfam Vientiane Lao PDR
Oxfam is an international confederation of 20 organisations networking together in 90 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working together to build a future free from the injustice of poverty. We work with thousands of partners in countries around the world and employ staff in a wide variety of posts. We work directly with communities and we seek to influence the powerful in order to enable the most
marginalised to improve their lives and livelihoods and have a say in decisions that affect them.
Working at Oxfam is so much more than just a job. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of dedicated and passionate professionals working to help people overcome poverty, build resilient communities and fight for social justice. Oxfam has had a presence in Laos since the late 1980s and works to deliver a country
strategy that focuses on sustainable livelihoods, governance and civil society, gender and diversity and resilient communities.
Purpose of function:
The Programme Coordinator (PC) position is responsible for planning and coordinating the Natural Resource Management and Climate Change Resilience (NRM&CCR) portfolio of Oxfam in Laos Change Goal on Sustainable Development and Responsible Investment. The PC will manage portfolio of partners pertaining Natural Resource Management. The PC will coordinate policy analysis on NRM&CCR for learning, advocacy and fundraising; the PC will also act as resource to drive the implementation of Oxfam in Laos Country Strategy. The PC will ensure his/her work is closely coordinated with other change goals.
- The Programme Coordinator is directly managed by the Programme Manager - Sustainable Development and Responsible Investment.
- Under delegation from the Programme Manager, manages the respective programme staff under her/his change goal(s) portfolio
- Coordinate with the Partnership and Quality Manager regarding support on proposal writing for fundraising purposes, MEL and Communications.
- Cooperates with other programme staff in other areas in which NRM&CCR are relevant and complementary.
- Under delegation from the Programme Manager, manages the programme staff in Laos with regard to programme implementation and development
The PC provides leadership, strategic steer and ensures program development, as well as operational management to a part of the Oxfam programme focusing on Sustainable Development and Responsible Investment in the region. The PC supports the operation of the Natural Resource Management portfolio and coordinates with other programme managers to ensure Oxfam delivers its strategy.
- Programme Implementation
In delegation of the Program Manager, the PC coordinates and manages Programme Officers or ensure the implementation of the programme, while ensuring optimal collaboration, task division and joint learning.
- Plays the leading role in the process of identifying key NRM&CCR focus, internalising them across the organisation and act as resources for mainstreaming strategies.
- Ensures the NRM&CCR programmes in Laos are synergized with national, regional and global level objectives of Oxfam
- Ensures work plans are followed adequately, phased budgets are spent and managed in line with the financial management systems, key lessons learned from operational plans, cross-learning between different areas and sector teams is facilitated.
- In collaboration with the partnerships and quality team, develops MEAL framework and ensures effective use of MEAL framework involving partners, communities and involved staff to measure impacts and progress of Oxfam’s works demonstrated in OCS and Programme operational plans.
- Ensures appropriate technical assistance is provided to programmes and projects through own experience or external sources.
- Supports and manages programs and projects to ensure effective and efficient partnerships.
- Ensures the respect of the partnership principles.
- Ensures complementarily and collaboration between partners in view of reaching programme objectives.
- Ensures compliance with Oxfam back donors’ systems and requirements, including responsibilities over quality and timely reporting (financial and narrative) on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Ensures compliance mechanisms are in place, are understood and effectively managed by all team members.
- Ensures key risk areas are identified through annual audits of the country programme are managed well.
- Produces clear and quality reports (financial and narrative) that demonstrates good accountability.
- Actively impersonates the centrality of influencing in Oxfam in Laos’s country strategy.
- Plans own work and in collaboration with partners, mobilising Oxfam’s and partners’ resources at best to achieve the strategic goals.
- Ensures gender is mainstreamed and contributes to enhance the gender equality agenda.
- Programme Development
- Identifies potential opportunities for local and regional co-operation and (back-donor) financing that contribute to the goals of Oxfam and develop and maintain partnerships. This includes contributing to the team’s development and implementation of projects and programmes that (potential) back-donors (could) finance.
- Supports the programme manager in proactively identifying and pursuing opportunities for programme development and growth in line with the Oxfam Strategic Goals.
- Ensures production of quality assessments, baselines, concept notes and proposals with budgets.
- Steers coherence and joint approaches across all the programme work to achieve greater impact and change.
- Ensures exit strategy and sustainability of the impact achieved through national and regional advocacy and campaigning.
- Ensures updated stakeholder analysis and donor scanning inform the programme design decisions and management steer.
- Project Monitoring Evalutaion & Learning (PMEL)
- Initiates and facilitates activities concerning knowledge & information management with partners and the team to strengthen the effectiveness and implementation of programmes and lessons learned.
- Facilitates the networking between partners and relevant external actors like knowledge & research institutes, and initiates and facilitates reports and any publications on NRM&CCR.
- Facilitates the identification, organization and monitoring of capacity building processes for partners on NRM&CCR.
- Contributes to the implementation of the Oxfam Country Strategy and Oxfam Global Strategy.
- Representation towards and networking with stakeholders
- Ensures Oxfam is represented in key venues that are leveraging influence and adding value to Oxfam’s work on the ground (Government or CSO platforms, Working Groups, multi stakeholder initiatives, etc).
- Develops and maintains a pro-active working relationship with other relevant agencies or development actors in building strategic and tactitcal alliances and institutional relationships in the area of NRM&CCR in both local and regional level.
- Identifies, assesses and builds relationships with new and existing partners (operational, strategic and alliance based), ensuring appropriate standards and relevant approaches are used for each partner arrangement, including assessing partners needs and creating appropriate capacity building plans, detailing tools and methodologies, performance and accountability requirements and evaluation approaches.
- Develops and faciliates links with civil society, the private sector and government
- This position has currently no direct responsibility for the management of staff, this might evolve following the portfolio, the PC will work when required under delegation of authority from the Progamme Manager.
- The PC acts as internal resource on NRM&CCR (training, support to partners etc)
- Coordinates delegated accountabilities for project risks, and reports regulary
Humanitarian preparedness and response:
- Participates in quick assessment of humanitarian needs in case of disasters and participates in writing assessment reports
- Contributes to the reflection of humanitarian response strategies, concept notes and proposal if necessary
- Participates in the delivery of humanitarian response programmes
Skills and competencies:
- Degree in development studies or similar plus experiences in project management and development for INGO
- Experience in developing project proposal/portfolios of local partners
- Experience in partnership programming
- Excellent skills in funding/grants management
- Strong understanding of monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Proven skills on managing changes, achieving results, ensuring quality, team building and capacity building.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English
- Demonstrable evidence of managing sizeable resources – people, budgets; including evidence of demanding high standards of performance and accountability while being fair in dealing with people and demonstrating through role modeling.
- Competence in capacity-building and organizational or institutional development of local organizations.
- Team player with ability to deal with a range of people from various cultures and different capacities
- Ability to take initiative and work independently when needed
- Able to communicate effectively in written and spoken English and Lao
- Commitment to Oxfam’s values
- Proven ability to work effectively with others – strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to show perseverance, tenacity and the ability to work under pressure
- A strong focus on results – sets goals, plans and prioritises effectively, monitors quality and progress of work against plans, establishes high level of performance and sets an example to others
More information and application procedure:
To apply for this position, please prepare application including a motivation letter and curriculum vitae and send to email@example.com or contact us at Oxfam 98/8, Sithong Road, Ban Nongduang-tai Sikhottabong District PO Box: 4723 Tel 021 264 224 . Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR
Closing date for applications is on 28 April 2019.
Oxfam is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation. Women and people from diverse groups are welcome to apply for these positions.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview