Extension of Deadline
Job Title: NATIONAL POST: Assistant Representative, Vientiane, Laos Country Office, NOC
Job ID: 19280
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS VACANCY IS OPEN ONLY TO NATIONALS OF LAO PDR.
Closing Date: 21st January 2019 (5pm Vientiane, Lao time)
Duration: One year (renewable)[i]
[i] No expectancy of renewal in according with UN Staff Regulation 4.5
The Assistant Representative works in coordination with Deputy Representative and the Representative. S/he designs, develops, and manages an innovative and responsive country programme. The Assistant Representative will lead the Gender, and Population and Development (PD) programme team, inspiring it to translate the regional and country goals into tangible solutions and results. The work will be done in consultation with the other programme units.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Conducting policy dialogue with Government, UN and other development partners to incorporate UNFPA’s priorities and agenda into national plans and strategies, and UN systems, initiatives and development frameworks.
- Translating global strategies into country-specific advocacy strategies. This includes creating and delivering evidence-based advocacy messages to promote UNFPA’s programme goals, taking into account political and social sensitivities.
- Promoting a results-based approach, integrating innovative policies and strategies into the design and formulation of country programmes, sub-programmes and projects. You will ensure programmes are responsive to the country’s needs in areas of UNFPA’s strategic priorities.
- Facilitating the achievement of programme results by identifying, providing and coordinating inputs into programme development and implementation, ensuring programme monitoring and oversight, and coordinating and evaluating the inputs of consultants and technical experts.
- Promoting knowledge sharing and continuous learning including testing, evaluating and documenting innovative strategies and best practices internal and external to UNFPA, and integrating these as appropriate.
- Contribute to resource mobilisation by identifying potential donors, preparing proposals including outlining co-financing resources for support to the country programme, and supporting the government and other agencies in coordinating assistance for programmes.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced degree in Public Health, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related discipline
- 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of development and population activities, including programme designing, appraisal and management.
- Demonstrated ability to refine programme design to ensure alignment of organisational programme objectives to national priorities/capacities.
- Proven ability to lead and manage teams to achieve demonstrable results.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to foster engaged partnerships at a high level of representation and to maintain political partnerships.
- Prior experience in UNs or international organizations an asset
- Fluency in English and Lao; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French and/or Spanish, is desirable.
HOW TO APPLY:
UNFPA has established an electronic application management system. This allows applicants to create a candidate profile, which can be updated regularly and submitted for more than one vacancy. Download the Step by Step Guide to Applying in the E-Recruit System of UNFPA at https://www.unfpa.org/jobs/national-post-assistant-representative-vientiane-lao-pdr-noc. Please print out the Guide for your reference during the registration and application process.
Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.