World Vision Lao, a non-profit Christian relief, development and advocacy organization,
Dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice.
OPEN TO NATIONAL JOB APPLICANTS BASED IN LAO PDR
POSITION TITLE – TECHNICAL PROGRAM MANAGER (SAVANNAKHET PROVINCE)
Position propose: The purpose of this position is to lead the field implementation of LAO Sector Technical Programmes for achieving highest impact for Improved and Sustained Child Wellbeing.
World Vision International – LAO country strategy FY 19-21 focuses on key ministry priorities for child well-being namely Nutrition, Education. Leaders aim to ensure that technical support is brought closer to the field operations implementing programmes.
Technical Programmes are national or sub-regional level programmes implemented by World Vision in multiple geographic locations within a country. TPs are comprised of evidence-based practices and models previously identified, defined and prioritised through a strategic process and documented in a Technical Programme (TP). TPs are designed to ensure National Offices (NOs) achieve World Vision’s mission, and the NO strategy, which includes the highest impact for the well-being of children, in accordance with relevant TP and NO strategic objectives and integration of relevant supporting approaches (SA).
Lao will be working under a new operating structure and in 2 sector Nutrition and Education in 3 provinces and for such this position shall be responsible for
- Providing technical specialised support to the sector programming.
- Implementing Technical Programmes in the filed through field staff (TDF and PC).
- Coordination between line National Office relevant departments for achieving quality output designed and planned for implementation.
- Provincial TP Programme budget management.
- To provide evidence-based practices and models previously identified, defined and prioritised through a strategic process and documented in a Technical Programme (TP).
Key Objectives of Job: The position is accountable for the following:
- Plan and implement the technical project model log-frame and LEAP budget, following the TP quality standards and requirements.
- Provide technical capacity building and coaching/mentoring to internal and external stakeholders.
- Represent of WVI- Lao in advocacy and external engagement as leading organization technical programs at provincial level
- Guide WVI-Lao to exercise greater influence for the well-being of children by fostering increased commitment to child well-being at Provincial level through sectoral programming.
Major Responsibilities of Job:
1. Adaptation and Implementation of TP
- As needed, Guide/lead feasibility assessments in technical area
- With field staff ( PC + TDF) and other NO staff, ensure effective consultations with communities, partners and donors in the adaptation and refinement of TP in field level based on evidence and learning from TP implementation.
- Provide guidance on annual planning so that sectoral "best practices, lessons learned etc." are integrated into technically sound business plans and services are coordinated.
- Responsible for mapping and representation in sector related provincial partner integration for implementation.
- Develop/review and update annual, semi-annual and monthly budget and detail implementation plan.
- Recommend effective consultations with communities, partners and donors in the adaptation and refinement of TP and relevant project models based on evidence and learning from TP implementation-(particularly during planning and review)
2. TP Project Management
- Manage scope & requirements of the technical programme & Community Engagement to ensure programme is implemented within the agreed design.
- Responsible for CE and Technical Project annual budget implementation and compliance to NO audit requirements.
- Work with relevant NO stakeholders (PQ Dept.) for the preparation of TP transition, ensuring capacity and resources are in place in the communities to sustain programming impact TP.
- Contribute to development of an agreed LEAP business process, particularly those with sector focus. Follow this business processes within agreed timelines for all LEAP documents.
- Organize /facilitate the development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant communication materials to ensure effective and efficient program delivery, including facilitating behavior change, where necessary
- Facilitate, assist donor visits and participate in donor visits when necessary.
- In times of emergency, provide technical support to disaster responses as directed by line management
- Represent WVI-Lao at provincial level and engaging in advocacy relevant to objectives, using credible M&E data and evidence.
3. Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Working closely with NO M&E, CE, and technical specialists and coordinate the TP baseline and evaluation process.
- Collect, analyse and communicate TP monitoring data for standardised indicators and communicate to key stakeholders
- Contribute to NO Child Well-Being (CWB) reporting by providing input on TP-related strategic objective progress
- Lead reflection and learning of technical project models and CE implementation for ongoing feedback and improvement.
- Work with sector specialist and NO Leader to ensure that lessons learnt from WV and other stakeholders are adequately incorporated into programming as well as TP re-design and strategy revision and Annual Programme Review.
- Participate in relevant community of practice to share lessons learnt, good practice and bring in new learning to improve TP implementation.
- Responsible for Monitoring of planned project activities and development of checklists and mechanisms for supervision and monitoring.
4. Programme Leadership and Team Management
- Manage/supervise sector Project Coordinators and TDF and conduct regular team meetings, plan and coordinate capacity building support, discuss issues and evaluate progress again monthly work plans and annual performance objectives.
- Guide staff to establish appropriate feedback mechanism for ongoing improvement in programme implementation.
- Develop and deliver curriculum (ToT) training to Province /Government counterpart staff to enable staff to deliver accountable, evidence based, quality ministry that brings sustained improvements to well-being of children.
- Conduct monitoring support visits to field implementing sector projects and provide field technical consultation as requested, to ensure quality activities are implemented.
- Responsible for transferring skills to front line staff to enabling them to understand and translate evidence based approaches. Orient/train Team on technical project model.
5. Networking and External Relations
- Work with Technical specialist to manage provincial relationships with Government and relevant organisations
- Support advocacy components to influence local policy implementers/decision makers at district and/or commune levels through use of the evidence-based, etc.
- Play a key role in MOU development for sector and implementation of MOU.
- Build relationships, partnerships and coordination with external stakeholders increases the influence and quality of World Vision in relation to Child Wellbeing.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred)
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Certification in 1-2 core competency areas.
- Understanding of the Education Sector in Laos – policies, challenges, issues, reform agenda, MoES Action Plan/s, etc.
- Understanding of school WASH.
- Particular understanding of issues around literacy and learning outcomes in Laos.
- For the EdLS sector this includes becoming certified as a “Master Trainer” in 1-2 of the EdLS subject areas.
- List of competencies (Competency ELS)
- M&E: Support literacy assessments
- Literacy: Lead programming for literacy
- Literacy: Provide teacher education and support
- Literacy: Community Action – parents
- Literacy: Community Action – community literacy volunteers).
- Literacy: Support the development of teaching & learning materials (TLM)
- School WASH.
- 4+ years of experience working with education programming (eg. literacy, early childhood education, teacher training, etc.).
- 2+ years in handling and leading broad teams.
- Experience with M&E for education programming (learning outcomes as well as tracking process indicators).
- Experience dealing with Provincial and District-level government, especially the MoES offices.
- Experience with organizing trainings, providing coaching and mentoring.
Common Knowledge and Skills across Technical Project
- Willingness to learn and be pro-active about personal professional development
- Good organizational team management ( planning, organising ) and coordinating skills
- Ability to pro-actively influence, network, and collaborate with local level government and NGOs
- Good communication skills in Lao and English (written and verbal)
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving, interpersonal and communication skills (including facilitation)
- Thorough knowledge and ability of MS Office
- Ability to demonstrate project management and foster a collaborative, team oriented atmosphere
- Integrity, honesty, and accountability to both the team and the community
Work Environment: Willingness to stay in the communities.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a COVER LETTER and CV to the address below. Please indicate the POSITION TITLE. DEADLINE is on 14 Deccember 2018.
Mail: People and Culture Department or Email: WVLao_Application@wvi.org
P.O. Box 312 Vientiane 01005