Oxfam is an international confederation of 20 organisations networking together in 90 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working together to build a future free from the injustice of poverty. We work with thousands of partners in countries around the world and employ staff in a wide variety of posts. We work directly with communities and we seek to influence the powerful in order to enable the most marginalised to improve their lives and livelihoods and have a say in decisions that affect them.
Working at Oxfam is so much more than just a job. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of dedicated and passionate professionals working to help people overcome poverty, build resilient communities and fight for social justice.
Oxfam has had a presence in Laos since the late 1980s and works to deliver a country strategy that focuses on sustainable livelihoods, governance and civil society, gender and diversity and resilient communities.
Oxfam in Laos requires an experienced and qualified person to fill the position of Human Resource and Business Support Manager to be based in our office in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
Purpose of function
The Business Support Manager (BSM) is to ensure the business support functions (Human Resources, Administration, Logistics, Procurement and IT) within Oxfam in Laos efficiently and effectively supports the country programs, the delivery of the Oxfam Country Strategy (OCS) and the operation of the country office in the longer term.
- The BSM relates directly with the CD and management team regarding to strategic Human Resources planning and implementation
- The BSM relates directly with all staff regarding HR policies and administration.
- The BSM relates with Oxfam International Shared services regarding global guideline, policy and practices (HR, ICT, …).
- The BSM relates with Regional Oxfam HR working group for collaboration in knowledge sharing and staff development plan.
- The BSM relates with Oxfam Executing Affiliate HR department (HQ) regarding HR related issues. Plays the leading roles in raising staff, consultants and partners awareness on Oxfam International Safeguarding guidance and focus in preventing and addressing sexual harassment, abuse and exploitation (SHEA). Ensures that Oxfam’s policies on SHEA are adequately followed and allow best prevention.
- Promote and commit to Oxfam’s three chosen values in Asia: Humility, Listening and Mutual Accountability
- The BSM relates with Oxfam Executing Affiliate IT department (HQ) regarding IT issues
The Business Support Manager:
- Ensures all functions within the Business support unit (HR, Admin, IT, etc.) activities are performed in a timely and efficient manner and effectively support the delivery of programme implementations for Oxfam in Laos.
- Actively practices and support mentoring, succession planning and management development within the field of business support.
- Ensures strategic partnership on the business support area with high level analysis and advice to Senior Management Team.
- Produce and ensure implementation of support function procedures for the Country.
- Manage budget of Support team including office running cost and staff capacity building
1. Human Resources Management
- Elaborate and ensure an adequate use of the Performance Appraisal tools and the capacity building for line managers who are required to use it. Conduct a regular assessment of the tools in order to improve it and to adjust it to the change in the organization
- Liaise and seek guidance from the Executing Affiliate HQ departments and OI HR shared services with regard to strategic organizational development issues to ensure efficient and effective delivery of organizational objectives and global human resource policies;
- Required to solve complex problems and may contribute expertise to country level strategy.
- Ensure proper needs assessments for all staffs to identify capacity building gaps. Provide guidance and assistance to line managers to conduct these needs assessments.
- Initiate in collaboration with CMT and Managers resources (trainers, organizations, events, etc.) that could contribute to fill capacity building needs.
- Provide support and guidance to the CD and Programme Managers in providing advices on HR issues where appropriate, including advice on recruitment & selection, career path, succession planning, training and development, grievance, disciplinary and policy enquiries;
- Develop and monitor the occupational health and safety for staff guidelines and, where appropriate, make recommendations for improvements to the CD
- Ensure a proper administration of the HR documentation: contracts, personal files, staff development plans, recruitment process, etc. including all legal requirements.
- Ensure the employer’s compliance with all legal obligations related to Tax, Social Security or other issues required by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Ensure that staff is informed on changes related to Tax and Social Security regulations.
- Manages the internal communication regarding the scope of responsibility (Human Resources, ICT, …)
- Follow up ad hoc HR projects;
2. Administration, Logistics and Procurement management
- Strategically plan and manage logistics for both office and programme needs
- Develop and maintain relationship with suppliers
- Ensure that quality, quantity, stock levels, delivery times are well recorded and maintained
- Resolve any arising problems or complaints
- Meet cost, productivity, accuracy and timeliness targets
- Comply with laws, regulations requirements of office and donors
3. Information Technology (IT) management
- Ensure that information technology and computer systems are well managed
- Plan, organise, control and evaluate IT and electronic data operations
- Ensure that user needs and system functionality are aligned to contribute to organizational policy
- Ensure security of data, network access and backup systems
- Identify problematic areas and implement strategic solutions in time
- Audit systems and assess their outcomes
- Handle annual IT budget and ensure cost effectiveness
- Preserve assets, information security and control structures
- Ensure that systems, policies and procedures are well designed, developed, implemented and coordinated
4. Representation and networking with
·Ensure Oxfam is presented in key venues that are leveraging influence and adding value to Oxfam’s work on the ground (Government esp MOFA or INGO platforms, etc) in the field responsibility Represents Oxfam in Laos towards Oxfam Affiliates, donors and partners with regards to Business support function
- Extensive external networking and engagement
- Develops and maintains relations with business support professionals, within and outside the country, so as to build strategic partnership for performance improvement of the function
5. Staff management
- creating a positive working environment in which equality and diversity are well-managed and staff can do their best
- planning and allocating work, monitoring achievement of deadlines of supporting staff as appropriate
- managing performance and development of business support staff, mainly through regular supervision sessions and the Performance development review process
- recruitment and induction of new staff
- proper proactive
6. Staff’s capacity building
- To manage and plan relevant capacity building plan for responsible staff
- To ensure staff’s skills and knowledge are up to date and suitable for the level of responsibility at the very least
- To support staff in planning their career path and succession planning if possible
- To coach/mentor staff as necessary
- To provide necessary constructive feedback to staff as necessary
7. Humanitarian preparedness and response
- Ensures the Oxfam team is properly inducted and aware of the humanitarian mandate
- Ensure preparedness of the team roles and responsibilities in emergencies in coordination with the Humanitarian Program Manager and as per contingency plan:
- Ensures recruitment and secondment in emergency situation in line with regional and global surge capacities,
- Supports and coordinate logistics and procurement operation in case of emergency
- Participates in quick assessment of humanitarian needs in case of disasters and participates in writing assessment reports
- Contributes to the contingency planning and simulation exercises
Required qualifications and competences
- Highly developed analytical and problem solving skills.
- Proven senior management experience.
- In-depth knowledge of specific areas of work with post graduate qualification in the related field of study or at least 5 years of experience in the similar position
- Experience of strategic design, planning and implementation.
- Proven high level of Human Resources management skills
- Ability to influence senior managers and peers over a wide range of issues.
- Ability to develop close working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to deliver complex and technical messages in simple terms.
- Experience of working in highly complex political environments. (Direct experience of Laos is desirable).
- Behavioural role model for peers and fellow team members.
- The ability to adapt to different cultures.
- Must demonstrate commitment and sensitivity to gender issues.
- Team player with ability to deal with a range of people from various cultures and different capacities.
- Leadership and coordination skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently when needed.
- Able to communicate effectively in written and spoken English and Lao.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s values.
- Ability to show perseverance, tenacity and the ability to work under pressure.
- A strong focus on results – sets goals, plans and prioritises effectively, monitors quality and progress of work against plans, establishes high level of performance and sets an example to others
More information and application procedure:
To apply for this position, please prepare application including a motivation letter and curriculum vitae and send to email@example.com or contact us at Oxfam 98/8, Sithong Road, Ban Nongduangtai Sikhottabong District PO Box: 4723. Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR
Closing date for applications is: Wednesday 22 August 2018.
Oxfam is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation. Women and people from diverse groups are welcome to apply for these positions.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview