Job Announcement (For Lao Nationals only)
Application close: 30 August 2018
Room to Read is an International Non-governmental Organization (INGO) that partners with local communities throughout the developing world to provide quality educational opportunities by establishing libraries, creating local language children’s literature, constructing schools, providing education to girls, establishing computer laboratories and assisting in programs designed to improve literacy amongst primary school students. We seek to intervene early in the lives of children in the belief that education empowers people to improve socio-economic conditions for their families, communities, countries, and future generation. Through the opportunities that only education can provide, we strive to break the cycle of poverty, one child at a time. Our long-term goal is to help 15 million children to gain the lifelong gift of education. Currently, we are looking for applicant who are committed, enthusiastic and having qualification and related experiences to fill in the following position:
Senior Literacy Program Manager (Based in Main Office, Vientiane Capital)
The Senior Literacy Program Manager (Sr. LPM) is responsible for leading and overseeing the overall program design and technical quality of the Instructional Design & Teacher Support (IDTS) & Quality Reading Material (QRM) components of RtR LA Literacy Program. This position reports to the Country Director and manage the Literacy Program Team. She/he requires to collaborate closely with the Program Operations Director (POD) and Field Managers (FMs) to ensure the program implementation in accordance with the agreed technical aspects and achieving program goals. The Sr. LPM is a member of the Country Management Team (CMT). This position will be based at Country Office and will require regular travel to project sites.
Roles & Responsibilities
Management and Coordination
- Ensure country‐wide Literacy Program quality and achievement of outcomes
- Utilize research, monitoring and evaluation data to inform and improve the LP design
- Ensure strong coordination and collaboration between CO Literacy program technical staff, the Programs Operations Director and field level teams. This includes internal follow‐up and monitoring of the implementation of the program
- Identify staffing/consultancy needs. Supervise and build capacity of the LP (IDTS & QRM) team, to develop their skills in literacy instruction, library management and development of engaging, relevant, and culturally appropriate reading and instructional material for primary school grades, creating an ideal book and materials list
Program Design, Implementation, Training, Monitoring and Support
- Collaborates with the GO LP team in developing, refining, and adapting the global Literacy Program design to the local context.
- Coordinates the communication flow between the technical team at country office level and field office to ensure that staff have the capacity to implement quality programs in line with the Literacy Program design.
- As needed, conducts an analysis of government curriculum to identify gaps for developing literacy and librarian skills, identifying content and structure for teaching materials, and designing training and workshop modules for Literacy Coaches and teachers.
- Responsible for designing Room to Read’s approach to teacher and librarian professional support to improve students’ literacy skills and habit of reading, adapted as needed based on research, monitoring and evaluation data.
- Coordinate with the RM&E and Program team, to provide technical inputs for the design of appropriate RM&E tools for data collection, analysis and ensures the RM&E data is used to enhance the effectiveness of the Literacy Program
- Ensures the quality of all Room to Read trainings. This includes designing and conducting direct training for teachers, librarians, and principals, as well as building the capacity of RtR staff or partner staff to conduct the trainings.
- Ensures effective and adequate monitoring and support of activities at all levels, including field visits and participation in meetings/workshop
Determine Reading Material Needs
- Define criteria for engaging, relevant, and culturally appropriate reading material for primary school grades to create ideal book list
- Establish guidelines for publishers/authors and illustrators to produce original, high quality content that is appropriate for target age groups, suitable for the local cultural context and functional as a tool for education
Planning, Reporting and Documentation
- Collaborates with the Program Operations team during Annual Planning and Budgeting processes including analyzing annual program goals, Program Assessment Criteria (AC) and Implementation Calendar (IC) to ensure alignment with organizational strategies and priorities.
- Review periodic program implementation reporting and spending submitted by the operations teams on program implementation and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Oversee the collection, documentation and sharing of effective practices from the Literacy program with Country and Global Literacy Program teams
- Give inputs into fundraising strategies for the program, preparing funding proposals and reports, and meeting with donors, as required.
External Coordination and Networking
- Provides the technical input into partnerships and agreements with government, NGOs and/or donors
- Explores opportunities with the government to obtain support in replicating Room to Read’s approaches and innovations into the mainstream education system at the local, regional, and national levels
- Collaborates with the government to build support for the program and identify ways to supplement and augment the government curriculum.
- Represents Room to Read by attending and speaking at relevant forums, and advocates for the importance of Literacy program work.
- Liaises with other NGOs and/or government institutions running similar programs to identify areas of knowledge sharing and possible collaboration.
- Stays informed about the local children’s book publishing industry, investigating major children’s book publishers and local market demand.
- Tracks changes in market trends with respect to content, format, types, age/grade levels, themes, language, etc., and uses this information to evaluate and inform Room to Read’s publishing initiatives
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- A master’s degree in Education or a related field of study, or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience
- Experience with reading/literacy or learning improvement programs
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of teaching methodologies, curriculum and teacher training at primary stage
- Experience with library programming (e.g. book leveling, library management, reading/library activities that instill a habit of reading in children).
- Experience developing educational learning materials for students or teachers at the primary stage
- Experience developing and conducting training programs for teachers
- Experience in developing and implementing programmatic improvements
- Strong planning, supervising, and program development skills
- Understanding of monitoring, evaluation, and process documentation
- Prior success Leading closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people and organizations
- Ability and desire to travel frequently to visit school sites
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Lao National
- Experience teaching at the primary stage
- Experience in developing and conducting on-site school support and coaching initiatives for teachers
- Development and use of observation and other monitoring tools and practices to assess progress of primary school interventions
- Effectiveness in Leading or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead
- Prior track record of achieving results in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic non-profit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker - you are not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Application Procedure Please submit your application through our online recruiting system at: https://www.roomtoread.org/about-us/careers/ And click See Current Vacancies
Or click on https://osv-rtr.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/RoomToRead/job/Laos---Main---Vientiane/Senior-Manager--LiteracyProgram_R-00709
And follow its instruction