Position title: Programs Manager, IUCN Saola Working Group
Duty Station: IUCN Lao PDR Country Office, Ban Naxay, Saysettha District,
Vientiane, with some domestic and international travel; at least 50% of the contracted time should be spent in Lao PDR;
Reports to: Saola Working Group Coordinator
Application deadline: 1 March 2018
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: 1 year renewable contracts
The Saola Working Group of the IUCN Species Survival Commission is a highly active, international consortium that works urgently to save from extinction one of the world’s most endangered animals, the Saola (which is found only in Lao PDR and Vietnam).
We seek to fill a senior management position, with broad responsibilities. The position comes with opportunities for some international travel, for participation in occasional meetings and conferences in Europe, North America and elsewhere in Asia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
1. Team management: The Programs Manager (PM) will serve as the day-to-day performance monitor and support person for leaders of the Saola Working Group’s (SWG’s) seven technical task teams, and SWG staff. This includes facilitating the task teams to develop annual and quarterly workplans, budgets and reports.
2. Support to project implementation: The PM will monitor, track, support and, when necessary, troubleshoot the timely implementation of SWG projects by SWG task teams and staff, particularly activities in Laos and Vietnam. This will include regular communication with government partners, to help maintain productive government relationships, and government permission and support for the SWG’s work in the Saola range countries.
3. Lao coordination: The PM will serve as the country director for all SWG Saola conservation activities in Lao PDR, and will work toward expanding the SWG’s program in Lao PDR.
4. Grant development and management: The PM will work, as and if requested, with the SWG Coordinator and SWG task teams to develop and submit project grant applications on behalf of the SWG. For successful grants, the PM will monitor and insure their smooth implementation, and timely reporting to the donor on technical aspects.
5. Project fiscal management: The PM will work with relevant members of the SWG to produce grant agreements, terms of reference and contracts, and work with the SWG’s host and fiscal sponsor, Global Wildlife Conservation, to track the smooth implementation of these.
6. Representation of the SWG: The PM will, when directed by the SWG Coordinator, represent the SWG in conferences, meetings or other communications with the SWG’s external partners, such as donors and the Saola range governments. The SWG Coordinator will take the lead on this, but the PM will augment or fill-in for him or her as needed and directed.
Both Lao national and international candidates are encouraged to apply.
Background in the field of biodiversity conservation will be a plus, but is not necessary.
To apply, by March 1, 2018 please email a CV, a brief introduction letter in English and the names and contact information of two professional references to: email@example.com. Please put “Application” in the subject line.
IUCN is seeking a qualified individual to join our Lao PDR Country Office, Vientiane, Lao PDR.