Job Description for: Research physician(s)
Full time post: 18 months (full time) with the possibility to extend
Lao-Oxford-Mahosot Hospital-Wellcome Trust-Research Unit (LOMWRU) is a Lao-UK project conducting infectious disease research in Laos since 2000. Our office is based in the Microbiology Laboratory, Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR.
We are looking for three Research physicians:
- Two will be based at Savannakhet Provincial Hospital and run a clinical study
- One will work on a qualitative research project (implementation of verbal autopsy to assess the causes of death in three districts: Atsaphangthong, Phalanxay, and Phin districts) and will spend time in Savannakhet and Vientiane capital
Both studies are part of the multi-country South and Southeast Asian Community-Based Trials Network (SEACTN) project, funded by the Wellcome Trust. The project, in collaboration with the research team in Mahidol-Oxford Research Unit, in Bangkok, aims to assess the burden and etiologies of febrile illnesses and develop decision support tools to improve the management of febrile illness at community level.
- To conduct the clinical research project according to the protocol, and international good clinical practice standards (clinical study)
- To be trained in conducting verbal autopsy and to travel to households of inividuals who have dies to conduct verbal autopsy as required (verbal autopsy study)
- To monitor, supervise, and support other project staff as required
- To ensure that study is conducted in line with Lao ethics
- To ensure that all documents and devices are kept securely and safe
- To liaise with provincial health staff and LOMWRU staff for any work related to study.
- To manage site running costs and report to the LOMWRU admin team
- To assist in writing monthly reports
- To conduct other study-related work as requested by study cooodinator/LOMWRU director
- Bachelor Degree in Medicine
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Lao
- Good written and verbal communication in English
- Enthusiastic, organized and with good problem solving skills
- Good knowledge of office productivity software (Excel, Word etc.)
- Interested in a career in research
- Experience in related field work
- Experience in health research and/or verbal autopsy
- Master’s degree in Tropical Medicine and International Health
- Experience in Social Science (Verbal autopsy study post only)
To apply for these positions please send your CV, a cover letter as well as relevant certificates via Email only, to LOMWRU_Recruitment@tropmedres.ac
Deadline for application is 20/08/2021. Only short listed candidate will be notified for the interview.