Project: Strengthening Lao PDR’s institutional capacity to comply with the Enhanced Transparency Framework under the Paris Agreement
Post title: International Expert for MRV and Climate Finance
Duration: 30 months
Date Required: 4th Month
Duty station: Vientiane
One of the most relevant challenges the implementation of the Paris Agreement poses to countries is to count with strong Transparency Frameworks. Article 13 of the Paris Agreement establishes the need of Parties to implement national robust transparent reporting and accounting systems to give clarity on action and support while providing clear information to stakeholders. As a part of building and enhancing their Transparency Frameworks, Parties of the UNFCCC Convention will progressively implement better tools and institutional practices, many of them not sufficiently developed in the countries. This is especially true for developing countries.
In this regard, the Capacity Building Initiative for Transparency Fund (CBIT), administered by the GEF, supports the government of Lao PDR mainly in strengthening its Enhanced Transparency Framework by means of improving the accuracy, completeness and consistency of its GHG inventories.
Detailed consultancy activities:
(i) Advisory role for various aspects:
- Work closely as Technical advisor to the Project Manager in delivering the substantive outputs of the projects as listed below and provide guidance to all national experts involved in project execution;
- Support the Project Manager in preparing TORs for national and international experts as well as consultancy contracts for firms;
- MRV and climate transparency strategic execution Supports:
- advisory role by working closely with the Project Manager and external consultants for all activities and providing detailed technical supports for implementation of outputs 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.7and respective deliverables;
- Advisory role to international firm to develop comprehensive online NDC platform including user guidelines for data providers and population of platform
- Advisory role on design mechanisms that facilitate the reporting and tracking of public expenditure in in Lao PDR and training
- Advisory role to the National University of Laos and the Project manager for making a short course and training to relevant staff in line ministries and agencies
- Conduct a survey with staff in different agencies to identify capacity needs for GHG inventory and MRV;
- Draft an initial training framework for the short courses on GHG inventory and MRV System Management at the Faculty of Environmental Sciences;
- at the National University of Laos and conduct a validation workshop with different stakeholders for the draft training framework;
- Advisory role to the Project manager for implementing the "Regional cooperation and knowledge-sharing activities on transparency" (output 1.7);
- Identify similar activities from other Asian countries in order to foster peer-to-peer regional exchange, creating economies of scale when feasible and maximizing human and financial resources;
- Prepare handover materials and conduct training to ensure that the consultant roles will be replaced by government staff;
- Ensure alignment of all activities with the global strategy of UN Environment to support the implementation of the Paris Agreement under the Enhanced Transparency Framework;
- Assure fast and effective access for peer-to-peer exchange through the Global Coordination Platform of CBIT and the Initiative for Climate Action Transparency (ICAT) and other relevant initiatives; Liaison with regional and international partners;
- Engage decision makers on how to integrate climate information into national policy;
Catalyze project outcomes and leverage country vision regarding climate action transparency before the ASEAN Climate Change Working Group;
(ii) Technical lead responsibilities for delivering specific outputs
- Coordinating and maintaining the National GHG database management system (activities related to output 1.3 and 1.5):
- Conduct a gap and needs analysis for existing institutional arrangements for planning and implementing climate actions;
- Provide technical support to develop a legal and regulatory framework to implement proposed institutional arrangements;
- Design for an online GHG database management system;
- Identified agency for database management and maintenance;
- Draft rules for operationalizing the database system in collaboration with different stakeholders involved in the inventory process;
- Provide 3 training workshop over the 3 years of the project implementation to key staff in line ministries and agencies on the use of the GHG database management, including the sector-specific spreadsheets, guidelines and tools developed output 1.5;
- Develop guidance material to staff in key sectors on how to apply the QA/QC procedures;
- Ad hoc screening of peer-to-peer learning opportunities in the region regarding QA/QC;
The International Expert for MRV and Climate Finance works closely with the Project Manager on a daily basis and provides advisory role to the project manager in directing the project. He/She will also be responsible for providing technical supports within the area of MRV of mitigation actions and tracking of international Climate Finance and in training the national experts hired for tasks.
The International Expert for MRV and Climate Finance will report to the National Project Director and working place will be located within the same premises of the Project Manager, at the Ministry of Natural Recourse and Environment in Vientiane.
- Advanced degree or higher (Master’s or higher) in areas relevant to climate change.
- Excellent understanding of global and regional MRV and transparency.
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience in areas related to climate change, Transparency with knowledge on Climate Finance, with 5 years specific experience on MRV of action and support.
- Language(s): English.
Duty Station: MoNRE-Department of Climate Change, Vientiane Capital
Detailed job description available at: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org Please send detailed CV along with a letter of interest by 30/06/2020 to 14/07/2020:
Department of Climate Change, MONRE
Email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +(856 21) 255932, 020 29641674, 020 54999885
Fax: +(856 21) 265017
Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview