Terms of Reference
Livelihood Development Conservation (LDC) Unit
Responsible to: Section Head, Livelihood Development Conservation (LDC)
The Nam Theun 2 (NT2) Watershed Management Protection Authority’s (WMPA) mandate is to work with local communities and implementing agencies to ensure sustainability of biological diversity and living condition and welfare of watershed inhabitants.
The WMPA Secretariat is a permanent executive office to the Board, in charge of day to day execution of all activities and has the rights and duties to coordinate with all concerned sectors and organisations, domestic and international, local and central levels as authorized by the Board.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primarily responsible for developing tourism activities under the governance of the Livelihood Development Unit of Nam Theun 2 Watershed Management and Protection Authority
- Collaborate with tourism consultants to develop a tourism development plan and produce guidelines for the implementation of tourism processes, procedures and design
- Coordinate with the Information, Culture and Tourism Office to develop tourist sites, develop regulations for tourism management and create a pool of tourist activities in the Nakai-Nam Theun National Protected Area
- Build the capacity of officers from the District Information, Culture and Tourism Office and target villagers in providing and managing tourism services including sharing of skills and knowledge in developing ecotourism products and promotional materials
- Conduct trainings to local community guides including preparations and precautionary measures for security purposes, tourist information and information, as well as codes of conduct
- Coordinate with local guides in the development of interpretative signs for trekking areas and mapping of ecotourism trails
- Identify and promote areas with ecotourism potential in addition to widely-known destinations
- Actively involve local communities with livelihood dependencies on ecotourism
- Develop a budget plan for proper and timely implementation of activities
- Produce monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual reports to submit to Nam Theun 2 Watershed Management and Protection Area and the District Steering Committee
- Study the ecological, cultural, and historical significance of tour areas in coming up with informational and promotional materials
- Applying the principles of environmental responsibility to ecotourism activities and programs
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
Duty Station: Nakai District-WMPA Secretariat Office
Duration: One (1) year contract with possibility for renewal, based on positive performance review
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Tourism, Environmental Science, Geology, or a relevant field. Relevant certificates/diploma in tourism management with an additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the Bachelor’s Degree requirement
Experience and Skills required:
- At least 4 years’ relevant experience to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the role, primarily in the tourism sector
- Ability to coordinate with the district authorities and concerned sector offices
- Ability to consult and communicate with the villagers
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills
- Knowledge of using computer systems and applications
- Working knowledge of English is required; knowledge of the language at the duty station is required
- Excellent client-orientation and networking skills
Closing date for application is 1st March 2020.
Interested candidates may apply by sending a cover letter and a recent CV by email to: email@example.com. Please enter the position title in the subject line of your email.
Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight on the date indicated, Lao PDR local time. Due to the high volume of applications we may receive, only candidates who reach the short list will be personally contacted.