Terms of Reference
Accounting Associate – 2 Positions
Responsible to: Manager, Administration Section/Unit
The Nam Theun 2 (NT2) Watershed Management Protection Authority’s (WMPA) mandate is to work with local communities and implementing agencies to ensure sustainability of biological diversity and living condition and welfare of watershed inhabitants.
The WMPA Secretariat is a permanent executive office to the Board, in charge of day to day execution of all activities and has the rights and duties to coordinate with all concerned sectors and organisations, domestic and international, local and central levels as authorized by the Board.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly expenses for the Secretariat
- Prepare cheques and other financial documents for payment of related activities
- Record transactions in the accounting software
- Check the accuracy of all expenditures in accordance with the financial regulations of the WMPA
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial statements according to the requirements
- Coordinate with staff and partners to monitor advance payments
- Check all vouchers including bank payments, petty cash payments and journal vouchers with special attention to be given to the documentation, approvals and coding
- Review all bank reconciliations on monthly basis. Ensure that petty cash reconciliations and cash counts are properly documented and that payments are properly authorized and supported
- Establish cash “in hand” limits are respected and all cash is held safe and secured
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts and current accounts on a regular basis including travel and loan accounts as well as overdue outstanding amounts
- Ensure adherence to accounting policies and procedures and establish systems of checks and balances to ensure integrity of accounts
- Assist Finance Officer to Provide various financial and accounting reports when needed
- Provide necessary support in facilitation of internal and external audits and reviews
- Process monthly payroll on time; review changes, adjustments and deduction thereto
- Ensure that confidentiality of payroll information is maintained and that accurate pay slips are provided on monthly basis
- Calculate, deduct and manage tax issues as per regulatory requirements
- Prepare and monitor liquidity statements for all bank accounts, arrange bank transfers as per funds requirement as and when required
- Handle petty cash account and establish replenishment levels
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
Duty Station: Nakai District-WMPA Secretariat Office
Duration: One (1) year contract with possibility for renewal, based on positive performance review
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance and Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce, Economics or a relevant field. Relevant professional certificates in accounting, banking, and financial management with an additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the Bachelor’s Degree requirement
Experience and Skills required:
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the role, primarily in office and project accounting
- Experience in using QuickBooks for accounting management or other related accounting applications a distinct advantage
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills
- Knowledge of using computer systems and applications particularly MS Excel
- Working knowledge of English is required; knowledge of the language at the duty station is required
- Excellent organizational skills
Closing date for application is 1st March 2020.
Interested candidates may apply by sending a cover letter and a recent CV by email to: email@example.com. Please enter the position title in the subject line of your email.
Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight on the date indicated, Lao PDR local time. Due to the high volume of applications we may receive, only candidates who reach the short list will be personally contacted.