Terms of Reference
Research and Biological Monitoring Technical Officer; 2 Positions
Responsible to: Head of Biodiversity Research and Monitoring (BRM) Unit
The Nam Theun 2 (NT2) Watershed Management Protection Authority’s (WMPA) mandate is to work with local communities and implementing agencies to ensure sustainability of biological diversity and living condition and welfare of watershed inhabitants.
The WMPA Secretariat is a permanent executive office to the Board, in charge of day to day execution of all activities and has the rights and duties to coordinate with all concerned sectors and organisations, domestic and international, local and central levels as authorized by the Board.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct field work with the team in order to implement and control the quality of wildlife surveys by installing surveillance cameras
- Coordinate with the concerned offices at the District level to recruit Team Leaders and Deputy Team Leaders of the survey teams
- Participate in capacity development activities and assist the trainers in conducting training workshops on wildlife surveys, installation of surveillance cameras and using other methods
- Work with the Team Leaders and the officers of BRM of Nam Theun 2 Watershed Management and Protection Authority in preparing and scheduling various surveys
- Coordinate with the Team Leaders to select villagers to join the survey teams
- Present the objectives of the survey to the local authorities
- Coordinate and communicate with the Team Leaders and the Deputy Team Leaders on a regular basis to evaluate the implementation results and provide support to the teams when needed
- Elaborate a budget plan for each team, for each survey, based on the Project Budget Plan
- Conduct the maintenance of various equipment and tools including preparation and printout of materials for each team
- Keep the survey records from each team and record data into the database
- Prepare a summary of the financial statements for the Management Team
- Report on the progress of the implementation to the officers of BRM of Nam Theun 2 Watershed Management and Protection Authority
- Participate in meetings related to the activities of the BRM Unit and the Nam Theun 2 Watershed Management and Protection Authority
- Assist in communication and outreach efforts regarding conservation activities and concerned regulations to partners and local communities
- Translate documents of the Unit from Lao to English language and vice-versa
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
Duty Station: Based at the Head Office of the Executive Secretariat of Nam Theun 2 Watershed Management and Protection Authority in Oudomsouk village, Nakai District, Khammouane Province and conduct patrol activities on a regular basis in Nam Theun 2 Watershed Area
Duration: One (1) year contract with possibility for renewal, based on positive performance review
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Environmental Science, Biology or a relevant field. Relevant certificates/diploma in environmental research methods with an additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the Bachelor’s Degree requirement
Experience and Skills required:
- At least 5 years’ relevant experience to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the role, primarily in conducting wildlife research and related surveys
- Proficient in using field tools such as GPS devices, maps and field records
- Basic knowledge of GIS software
- Ability to coordinate with the district authorities and concerned sector offices
- Exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills
- Knowledge of using computer systems and applications
- Working knowledge of English is required; knowledge of the language at the duty station is required
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
Closing date for application is 1st March 2020.
Interested candidates may apply by sending a cover letter and a recent CV by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please enter the position title in the subject line of your email.
Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight on the date indicated, Lao PDR local time. Due to the high volume of applications we may receive, only candidates who reach the short list will be personally contacted.