We are currently looking for Professional Development Specialist based in Vientiane
The Professional Development Specialist supports the Senior Education Technical Specialist in the Learn to Read project in all work related to students in primary grades 1 and 2, and collaborates with the technical team to develop teacher training materials and plans for grades 1 and 2. S/he is responsible for providing capacity building and technical support to project staff and government partners in four provinces for implementation of the grade 1 & 2 reading improvement package of the Learn to Read project. This includes developing training manuals and training plans, facilitating training of trainers, supporting teacher training, and monitoring coaching activities in grade 1 & 2 classrooms. S/he will be working closely with the technical team at the VTE office, and with the implementing teams in Attapeu, Champasak, Xiengkhouang and Vientiane provinces.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
KEY AREA OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Ensure they fully understand the provisions of the Child Safeguarding Policy, the Code of Conduct and Local/Country Procedures.
- Conduct themselves in accordance with the rules of the Child Safeguarding Policy, in their personal and professional lives – which includes reporting suspicions of child abuse.
Key Area 1: Project design and Planning
- Identify challenges and issues in the areas of grade 1 and 2 reading improvement activities, assess needs in accordance with overall Learn to Read project strategy and develop appropriate strategies in collaboration with project technical team and MoES partners.
- Jointly develop Gantt chart/ Detailed implementation plan and quarterly/monthly activity plan with the project team and partners.
- Review project plan, implementing methodologies and operational activities with partners for further development and implementation.
- Plan with technical team to ensure that interventions related to inclusive education, community engagement, and pre-primary reading readiness are integrated with grade 1 and 2 activities.
Key area 2: Development and Supervision support
- Support the Materials Development Specialist in developing the grade 1 and grade 2 reading improvement package with MoES.
- Provide regular technical support and oversight to the two Professional Development Coordinators (North and South).
- Ensure frequent onsite program visits, monitor program activities and provide continuous support to the field.
- Develop operational guidelines of grade 1 and grade 2 reading improvement package for smooth implementation.
Key area 3: Training and materials development
- Identify training needs for the project team and MoES partners at regional and field level and develop training plan.
- Assist in developing different training courses and training materials for the project, leading on materials related to grade 1 and 2 reading improvement.
- Organize, conduct and support in organizing Training of Trainer workshops, teacher trainings and refresher workshops for provincial and field teams.
Key area 4: Research and documentation
- Support in documenting project success stories and case studies.
- Contribute to preparation of quarterly and annual project reports as required.
- Assist in research/study/survey as stated in the Learn to Read project proposal.
Key area 5: Budget and Logistical Support
- Assist in reviewing budget by providing input on grade 1-2 training and monitoring activities.
- Track and follow up grade 1-2 related expenses in the budget provision.
Key area 6: Liaison/external relations
- Maintain liaison with relevant MoES officials and other education-related organizations for effective program implementation and enhancing quality.
- Attend trainings, meetings, and workshops to update knowledge and skills as assigned and disseminate new knowledge/ information/lessons learnt.
- Disseminate new information, lessons learnt, government’s new policies and programs etc. to the appropriate forums when needed.
- Represent Save the Children in different forums as required.
- Any other tasks agreed by the Supervisor.
Key area 7:
- Ready to work to respond to any natural disaster or emergency situation anywhere in Lao PDR or in the Region.
- Masters Degree in Education or any field of Social Sciences is essential.
Experience and Skills
- Work Experience: At least 7 years’ experience in Primary Education projects and at least 3 years in Teacher Training preferred.
- Job related knowledge: Knowledge in current early grade reading discourses in the region and in Laos is required.
- Excellent in training design and facilitation skills.
- Good in development of primary education training materials
- Good inter-personal communication skills.
- Good in teamwork and networking.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English & Lao.
- Good computer operating skills, in MS Office programs including MS Word, Excel, PP.
Contract length: fixed term
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Interested candidates please submit a full application using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document including contact details of three professional referees (current and last line managers and HR department). Please also include details of your salary expectations and a copy of your ID card. Please note that we will require a copy of your Criminal Records (ໃບແຈ້ງໂທດ) later.
Apply via Link provided below or send hard copy to Save the Children, HR Team, Rue Nerhu, Unit 25, Ban Phonexay (PO Box 7475)
Please indicate the title of position in your email subject line and also mention the location you apply to
Closing date for applications is: 25 Feb 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Save the Children International is a child rights based organization. Safe recruitment is central to the safeguarding of children and young people that we come into contact with, and support through our programmes.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Save the children is an equal opportunities employer, qualified females, persons with disability and candidates from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.