Duties and Responsibilities:
The position is in the framework of the FAO-GEF project “Strengthening agro-climatic monitoring and information systems (SAMIS) to improve adaptation to climate change and food security in Lao PDR”. Under the overall direction of the FAO Representative and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator (PC), in close collaboration with the National Project Director (NPD) and with the Component Manager and the Government agencies, the Expert will provide support to the activities included in Component 2 of the project and other activities related to spatial information systems.
The consultant works under the overall direction of the FAO Representative, technically reports to the PC and strictly collaborate with the NPD in order to support Department of Agricultural Land Management (DALaM) within the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF).
- Coordinate consultation processes and provide technical support to the development of a national Land Resources Information Management System (LRMIS);
- Support DALaM in the provision of data and metadata required for the preparation of LRMIS, National Agro-Ecological Zoning (NAEZ),Socio-Agricultural Vulnerability Assessment (SAVA) and Land Utilization Type (LUT);
- Support the training need assessment and the organization of the trainings related to the project.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide technical support for the development of a national land resources geographical information system;
- Support for the testing and setup of the GIS/Information Portal and development of user guidance materials;
- Support DALaM in the provision and development of data and metadata to be included in the above-mentioned systems and in the development of impact scenarios for the socio-agricultural analysis;
- Ensure the appropriate modelling procedures and vector and raster interpolations are carried out accurately and efficiently using established techniques, methods and solutions, such as the agro-ecological zoning and;
- Develop training resources on national land resources geographical information system and scenario development tool and deliver training as appropriate.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in applications Information Technology and GIS for agriculture, natural resources and land-use suitability evaluation and socio-agricultural scenario development;
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in environmental modelling with knowledge in data handling and processing, database and web pages administration as well as application of statistical and modelling methods (e.g. soil, crop, hydrological, or meteorological statistics and probability analysis).
- University degree in Agriculture, Natural Resources Management, GIS, Remote Sensing, Computer Science, Information Systems or a closely related field;
- Familiarity with GIS scripting languages and web services management;
- Working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focused;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement;
- Building Effective Relationships.
- At least 5 years’ experience in GIS for natural resources planning;
- Having been exposed to the planning and development of capacity building plans;
- Background in crop or soil modelling.
- Experience in GIS capacity development;
- Experience in crop, soil, hydrological, or agrometeorological modelling.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- All candidates should possess computer/word processing skills.
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your iRecruitment online profile (see “How to Apply”). We strongly recommend that you ensure that the information is accurate and complete including employment record, academic qualifications and language skills.
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Other similar positions may be filled from this vacancy notice and the endorsed candidates will be considered for the Employment Roster for a period of 2 years.
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments.
Remuneration: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, visit the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC) website: http://icsc.un.org/rootindex.asp
- All applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: iRecruitment@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY
Send your application to: FAO Representation Office
128 Phonxay Road, Phonxay Village
Saysettha District, Vientiane Capital
Tel: +856-21 413205, 414503
Or e-mail to: FAO-LA-Vacancies@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT